1. Antiparasitic drug used in many species but can be toxic in some species (eg, turtles, skinks, some birds).
2. Should be used with caution in dog breeds that could have a genetic mutation (eg, ABCB1-1Δ [MDR1]) until they test negative. This mutation is most commonly found in “white feet” breeds, including collies, Australian shepherd dogs, shelties, and long-haired whippets. Ivermectin, at higher doses, is toxic to dogs with this mutation.
3. May be given with or without food. If your pet vomits or acts sick after receiving the drug on an empty stomach, try giving the next dose with food or a small treat. If vomiting continues, contact your veterinarian.
4. Overdoses can be serious; measure doses carefully and keep flavored, chewable tablets out of reach of children and animals.
5. Usually well tolerated. If you see neurologic signs such as coma, weakness, clumsiness, dilated (ie, big) pupils, trembling, excessive salivation (ie, drooling), or if the animal presses its head against the wall, contact your veterinarian immediately.
6. Dispose of unused product carefully; it can be very toxic to fish and wildlife.