1. Use only products that contain chlorpheniramine as a single active ingredient. Any other ingredients (eg, pain relievers, decongestants) found in human-label combination products can be toxic to animals.
2. Antihistamines should be used on a regular, ongoing basis in animals that respond to them. They work better if used before exposure to an allergen (eg, pollens).
3. May cause drowsiness (sleepiness); this eff ect may lessen with time.
4. If using a sustained-release product, do not split or crush tablets. If using a long-acting capsule, you may empty the contents of the capsule over food, but do not allow the beads to dissolve before the pet eats the food.
5. May be diff icult to give to cats because it has a bitter taste.